Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
by E. Lockhart

This was a fun, entertaining story.  I liked the style E. Lockhart uses to tell the story, like she is laying out the facts that lead to Frankie's downfall. The setting of a boarding school for rich kids was interesting to me, probably because I don't have any experience with that type of atmosphere.

Frankie is funny, clever and full of ambition. I enjoyed her sense of humor and reading about the pranks she instigates. Her view of the world is definitely different then mine but it is always interesting to try  understanding why people do the things they do, or think the way they do.

The one thing I could not understand was her driving need to become a part of her boyfriend's secret society. Not because she thought the things they did were fun but because being a girl made her excluded. At one point she even admits that their parties are boring but she still becomes obsess with breaking into their secret society. I  understand not wanting to be know just as Matthew's boyfriend and not wanting to be defined by her gender but I don't think that means changing the things you like to reflect what the boys like. There are better ways to achieve that goal. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment