Sunday, January 30, 2011

David Copperfield



David Copperfield
By Charles Dickens

I finally finished!

This was my first attempt at reading a Dickens novel and although it took a while to get through it I did enjoy the story. I have to admit though that I find his writing very difficult to read. The way they spoke and wrote in the 1800 hundreds is very different from our use of language today. Sometimes I read an entire chapter with out really understanding most of what they were saying. Eventually I was able to, for the most part, gleam the implications and outcome of these conversations.

My favorite part of the story was the beginning of David Copperfield's story when he tells of his childhood. It is such a tragic story. The middle of the story slowed down for me. It was a lot of character development and foreshadowing for future events.  It was interesting how a person with such a difficult childhood would grow up to be so trusting and naive about the people he meets.  He often respected and admired people I could tell would be the cause of trouble eventually. That is probably the main thing that kept me reading. I just had to find out what these unscrupulous characters were up to.

I though this was a great story about someone who is faced with difficult circumstances and rises to the challenge. A story about remaining kind hearted and hopeful despite the trials you may face. An  admirable trait that that we all could aspire to gain.

1 comment:

  1. Yay(!!!!) you finished! I'm glad it wasn't a horrible experience for you and that you ended up liking it for the most part. I completely agree--Dickens is really hard to get through! I do adore this story, though. And the movie starring Daniel Radcliffe is really good and follows the book pretty well, if you're interested in watching a movie version. :) Note--don't try to read "Nicholas Nickleby"--it's incredibly tedious and his adventures are way too boring! :)

    ReplyDelete