Friday, December 10, 2010

Flight




Flight
by Sherman Alexie

When I first started reading this book I was unsure if I was going to like it. There was a lot of swearing, more than I usually tolerate. The main character is a juvenile delinquent and there is a lot of violence.

That should have been enough to keep me from liking this book but when I was done reading it I realized that I really liked this book. It was a very well written book. Thought provoking and eye opening.

The basic story is about an native american foster kid who is on the verge of murdering a bank full of innocent people when he is drawn back through time to experience different moments of history. Each moment shows one way someone justified killing another person. This book explores the issue of justice, revenge and what drives people to believe they are doing the right thing even when it is something as violent as killing another human being.

I know it sounds strange that I would like this book but for some reason this book really struck a chord with me. I found myself hoping that this boy would learn from these experiences and change his ways.

So yes this book is violent, the swearing is over the top but it is still a very interesting read and I am glad I took time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment