Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Paper Towns




Paper Towns by John Green was the second book from my list to read.

When I was looking up info about this book, the website mentioned that this book is required reading in some high schools. After reading this book I can see why it is a book used to teach in English classes. One of those books that you have to interpret the authors intent and discover what this story is truly about. I can imagine long discussions about the meaning of life or how we define ourselves.

And of course Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" is quoted and reference frequently through out the book. I have never been great at interpreting poems or books for that matter. It was helpful that the main character spends half the book trying to interpret the poem and then tells us what he discovers.

I honestly found the ending to be a little anti climatic. All this mystery surrounds Marge's disappearance but in the end it wasn't such a mysterious reason.

The book follows the lives of a group up teenagers. That means that the main character and his friends are teenage boys, which means lots of bad language and inappropriate conversations about sizes of body parts and sex.

One thing that I can say about this book is that it is well written. It only took my about a day to read it and it kept my attention through out. I really did want them to find her. I liked the main character Quentin.

In the end the book turned out to be mostly about teenagers and self discovery. It just is not the type of book I really enjoy but I'm sure there are people out there who love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment