Sunday, November 7, 2010

Graceling by Kristin Cashore



This was a great Fantasy book. One of the things I like most about this book was that the story captured my attention immediately. I was drawn into the characters and plot by the first chapter and whenever I had to put the book down I looked forward to the next opprotunity I would have to pick it up and read again.

I really liked the idea behind the book of special people who were Graced with gifts to be experts in different areas. This could include dancing, cooking, fighting, mind reading, etc. The possibities were endless. I thought that it made for a unique and interesting story. It was an easy read and I truly enjoyed it.

I only had one complaint about the main character and her view of the world. In her mind the idea of marriage was repulsive because to her it meant giving up her ability to be herself. She felt like if she were to marry, a man would then have complete control over her life and actions. The only way to keep her freedom was to never marry and just have lovers instead. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but for a book geared towards teen girls, I'm not sure if Katsa is the best role model. I felt like it gives girls the idea that getting married means having to give up their indivuality and freedom, which just is not true.

After the one chapter that deals with this issue I wasn't sure if I would continue to enjoy the book. I found her sulking about not wanting to get married annoying. It turned out to be a very minor part of the story and  it didn't take me long to get caught right back into the story again. I read it every free moment I had and it only took me a couple days to read it.

So my finally thoughts on this book are that it is a good book. I really enjoy fantasies and  liked the unique story line of this one.

I am sure that I will read the next book once it is available at the Library.

1 comment:

  1. My cousin recently told me about this book. So, now I've gotten 2 people I trust recommending it! If I ever finish the stack of books I already have waiting to be read, I'll put it at the top of the list! :)
    PS--I love that you're doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete